Clark, Ron. 2012. The End of Molasses Classes. Touchstone.
Genre : Teaching Guide
Suggested Readers : Teachers and Parents (who speak English)
Ron Clark is widely known as “America’s Educator” and was Oprah Winfrey’s first pick as her “Phenomenal Man.” He is a New York Times bestselling author and has been featured on the Today show, CNN, and The Oprah Winfrey Show. He challenges parents, teachers, and communities everywhere embrace a difference in the classroom and uplift, educate, and empower our children. Read this book to find out why so many across the country have embraced these powerful rules.
- Set the electric tone on day one
- Teach your children how to study—don’t expect it to come naturally
- Don’t constantly stress about test scores
- Not every child deserves a cookie
- Lift up your teachers. No, really, lift them up!
- If kids like you all the time, you’re doing something wrong
- Don’t be a penny parent
I remember seeing Rob Clark on Oprah many years ago. Great teachers have always inspired me to be a greater teacher too ! I love these types of books and I think we should revisit tips and tricks about teaching once in a while even when we are experienced teachers. Of course, I recommend it for new teachers but also for oldies like me who want to reinvent their game a little.
Here is his version of classroom rules that I think are really refreshing :
- Make eye contact
- Respect other ideas and opinions
- Say thank you within three seconds of receiving something
- When you win, do not brag; when you lose, do not show anger
- Do your homework each and every night without fail
- Be the best person you can be
- Always be honest
- If you are asked a question in conversation, ask a question in return
- Perform random acts of kindness
- Learn the names of all the teachers in the school and greet them
- If someone bumps into you, even if it was not your fault, say excuse me
- Stand up for what you believe in
And if you are looking for more books on learning and teaching, here is a fantastic list : http://talkswithteachers.com/top-15-book-recommendations-for-teachers/
Enjoy the read !
– Tanja Vaillancourt, English Consultant, CSSH